Derby Future Favorite California Chrome in Action in Santa Anita Derby
There are just 29 days left until the first Saturday of May and the 7-1 betting favorite for the Kentucky Derby according to Bovada will be in action on Saturday in his final tune-up for the Run for the Roses.
The Art Sherman trained California Chrome is the 6-5 morning line favorite for the $1 million Santa Anita Derby (G1). The colt is currently listed at 7-1 at Bovada in Derby future betting.
The colt is coming off a sharp win in the San Felipe (G2) over the Santa Anita main track going seven furlongs. The colt faces seven foes including Rebel (G2) winner Hoppertunity and Robert B. Lewis (G2) victor Candy Boy.
The Bob Baffert trained Hoppertunity (3-1) is currently listed at 16-1 at Bovada in Derby future wagering. Baffert last won the Santa Anita Derby with Midnight Interlude in 2011, which was the trainer’s sixth win in the race, a record.
Candy Boy (9-5) returns off a two-month break after winning the Lewis in his three-year-old debut. The John Sadler trainee is currently at 20-1 in Derby future betting.
The Santa Anita Derby offers 100-40-20-10 Derby points to the top four finishers.
In New York, a field of 11 will line up to go nine furlongs in the $1 million Wood Memorial (G1), also a Derby points race with 100-40-20-10 points up for grabs to the top four finishers. A win guarantees a starting spot in the gate in Louisville, and a runner up finish and 40 point should be enough to gain entry as well.
Social Inclusion is the 2-1 morning line favorite and will need points as the colt is making his stakes debut. The colt hopped on the Derby trail with a 10-length thrashing of Honor Code in an allowance race. That effort reduced his Derby future odds down to 14-1.
His main foe in the Wood is the undefeated Samraat, who is coming off a win in the Gotham (G3) over the Big A inner track in his last start, his fifth consecutive victory. The Rick Violette trainee is currently listed at 25-1 in Derby future betting.
The Santa Anita Derby and Wood will be televised live on NBC Sports Network at 5:30 pm (ET).
For selections and analysis for all of the Derby preps check out Michael Dempsey’s selections at turfnsport.com.
$1 million Santa Anita Derby
PP. Horse, Jockey, Trainer, ML Odds
1. Rprettyboyfloyd, R Bejarano, D E Breuer, 20-1
2. Friendswith K Mill, T Baze, D F O'Neill, 20-1
3. Hoppertunity, M E Smith, B Baffert, 3-1
4. Big Tire, E A Maldonado, M Glatt, 20-1
5. California Chrome, V Espinoza, A Sherman, 6-5
6. Candy Boy, G L Stevens, J W Sadler, 9-5
7. Schoolofhardrocks, J Talamo, D E Hofmans, 10-1
8. Dublin Up, K J Desormeaux, P Miller, 30-1
$1 million Wood Memorial
PP, Horse, Jockey, Trainer, Odds
1. Kid Cruz, M. Franco, L Rice, 20-1
2. Wicked Strong, R. Maragh, J Jerkens, 15-1
3. Noble Moon, I. Ortiz Jr., L Gyarmati, 12-1
4. Harpoon, J. Velazquez, T A Pletcher, 8-1
5. Los Borrachos, C. Velasquez, W I Mott, 30-1
6. Kristo, M. Garcia, J Sadler, 6-1
7. Schivarelli, J. Castellano, E Kenneally, 15-1
8. Samraat, J. Ortiz, R Violette Jr., 7-2
9. Effinex, R. Montanez, D Smith, 50-1
10. Uncle Sigh, C. Nakatani, G Contessa, 5-1
11. Social Inclusion, L. Contreras, M Azpurua, 2-1